Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Remodel update

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  That is what happens when the sheetrock dust and floor dust settles.  Jason and I spent last weekend sanding and finishing the hardwood floors.  Ugh!  That is one of the worst jobs ever.  We worked for 8 hours straight before we took a break for dinner.  Then 20 minutes later we were back at it.  We finished sanding and applied the first coat of clear varnish around 12:30 am.  When we woke up 6 hours later because we thought the floor would be dry and ready for the next coat (silly us) we found a splotchy, wet mess.  I went back to bed with the hopes that it was all a bad dream and when I really awoke I would find beautiful finished floors.  That was not the case!  I sent Jason to play in hoopfest and hopefully burn off some negative energy and I attempted the next coat, working in small areas to try and remedy the problem.  It wasn't remedied. 

The conclusion I/we have come to is that there is no such thing as perfection, we have three kids and a dog,  the 60 year old wood floor is to blame, and I/we don't have the time or energy to fix this problem.  Instead we will cover it up with rugs and furniture and pray no one says anything.  C'est la vie!


1st pass over new floor and new kitchen wall color
1st pass over old floor

getting ready to put product on
note the how dark it is outside



I don't want to show the floor because it makes me want to cry and our cabinets went in tonight and I want to wait to show all of it together.   So you will have to wait for the reveal, though not the final reveal.

No comments:

Post a Comment